We award academic scholarships to pupils who take a genuine interest in the intellectual world, who have a track-record of achievement in a range of subjects, and who have the potential to become Cranleigh’s academic leaders. Our expectation is that academic scholars will be among the very top performers in their year-group when it comes to our internal and, later, public exams. We expect most of them to be at an academic level where ultimately, they could apply to Oxbridge, Ivy League or other world-leading universities.
We also expect scholars to play a full role in the school. Scholars are encouraged to read widely around their subjects, to attend subject-specific talks, and to identify academics and other public intellectuals who could add value to the school community.
How to apply for an Academic Scholarship
All external candidates should complete a regular admissions application using our online system which can be accessed here. When this application is complete, please email email@example.com to register your interest in applying for a scholarship and the team will advise next steps. Note that we require full admissions information to be submitted before progressing with scholarship applications.
Internal candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org and the team will advise next steps which will include the submission of a formal application.
The deadline for all scholarship applications is 13 April 2019. Please note we cannot accept any applications after this date.
A shortlist will be created following review of applications received. All shortlisted external candidates will be invited to attend a testing day. Internal candidates will not be required to undergo this testing as we will be in a position to use our own academic data and knowledge of the pupils. Testing for external candidates will include:
- For entry to Y7 – Y10, three 45 minute exams in Maths, English and Science
- A standardised computer test which assesses verbal and non-verbal reasoning, spatial aptitude and numeracy. This typically takes 90 minutes (may be completed as part of the admissions process)
- For entry to Year 12, two 1-hour papers will be sat in two subjects the candidate is intending to pursue at A Level
The top performers (both external and internal) will be invited back for interview. The interviews will be from 15 to 30 minutes and will cover:
- The pupil’s academic interests, aptitude and enthusiasm
- The pupil’s attitude, manner and presentation
- Other areas in which the pupil will contribute to the school
All of these areas will be scored with appropriate weighting to inform our overall decision.