Art is very popular at Cranleigh, both as an Academic subject (see Academic section) and as an optional activity, and there are plenty of opportunities for pupils to get involved. Moreover, at Cranleigh, we further broaden the experience of our pupils by hosting exhibitions and workshops, and by running trips to local galleries. Our location on Saadiyat Island, the cultural centre of the city, affords us with the ability to take advantage of a world class selection of galleries, including the Louvre Abu Dhabi and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi.
The Cranleigh Art Department ethos:
- To ensure all pupils have a positive experience, that gives each child confidence and a belief that they can do well in art and design. This is achieved by rewarding thinking, observation, creativity and imagination
- For all pupils to experience a wide range of different approaches and attitudes to art and design, through practical and written work, as well as in discussion
- To relate all pupil work to the ideas and practice of artists
- To develop pupil’s skills in visual literacy: drawing from observation and imagination, interpreting and ‘reading’ artefacts, developing and experimenting, realising and evaluating
- To start to introduce GCSE trends and practices
- To provide the beginnings of an outline of Art History for the development of pupils practical outcomes and to curate personal learning journeys